Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tomato talk

I won't go into all the reasons that I love tomatoes... but one of those reasons, and why I recommend growing tomatoes to absolutely anyone, is that they are very easy to take care of.

One of the best things about tomatoes is that they are among the most (if not the most) self-expressive plants.  Watered them too much?  Their leaves will turn slightly yellow.  Not enough water?  They look just like this:

See how the leaves are curly?  This is especially important to look for in tomatoes that you have growing in pots (as this one is), which tend to dry out a lot faster than a garden bed.  At the time of this photo, I'd just watered this particular plant the day before, but a streak of very hot weather and a ton of sun left it thirsty.

Once you water it, the leaves of the tomato plant will go back to looking "normal" in a very short period of time (I'm talking minutes/hours).  These guys bounce back quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment