Monday, April 22, 2013

The amazing flourless cracker

Fresh herbs are one of the easiest and tastiest things to grow, but many people forget they can also be dried and enjoyed year-round. 

99% of the time, I used my dried herbs (mainly oregano, rosemary, thyme, and basil) in some form of tomato sauce or soup, but occasionally something else catches my eye.  Last week I concocted the following snack, which is an adaptation of a recipe I found online.  These have been pretty popular in my house, by which I mean I ate a few and my husband happily devoured the rest of the batch over the course of a few days.  They are great dipped in hummus.

Flourless Flax Crackers*
(this version packs a pretty strong Italian flavor.  Feel free to reduce the amount of any of the seasonings)

2 cups raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds
1 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 tsp garlic powder
1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
1-1/2 tsp dried basil

1.  Preheat over to lowest temperature (mine is 170 degrees)
2.  Combine flax seeds with 1/2 cup water in a bowl and allow to soak for 1 hour (until you have a weird gooey mass.)
3.  Place sunflower seeds and all seasonings in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
4.  Add gooey flax mess to sunflower mixture, and pulse until combined.

5.  Line a baking sheet (for me this just about filled a sheet pan) with parchment.
6.  Spread mixture in a thin layer onto parchment.
7.  Bake in the lowest temperature your oven has to offer for 3-4 hours.
8.  Once they have baked for a while the crackers solidify into one big sheet.  Lift this with a spatula and check to see if the crackers are crisp.  If you seek adventure, try to flip this over.
9.  Bake for another hour or so.
10.  Turn off oven and allow crackers to stay in it overnight, continuing to dry.
11.  When cool, break into pieces and enjoy! (I tried to cut these into neat squares but ended up just breaking it all into shards)

*Cooking times will obviously vary depending on your oven and how low it can go.  If you happen to have a food dehydrator, follow the link to the original recipe above.


No comments:

Post a Comment